Garden Bench Makeover

Garden Bench Makeover

I’ve joined a group of friends for a challenge to makeover a piece of furniture each month with a theme.  April’s theme is “bright”.  It was a quick decision for me to decide to give the garden bench that resides on our screened porch an update with a bright coat of paint.

Bench Before Makeover

This bench purchased from Plow and Hearth was a gift from me to Mr. SP very early in our marriage.  It has resided on our screened porch for nearly 20 years now and has been sat upon countless numbers of times.  The bench was still in excellent condition but had some wear and tear on the arms. Wear and Tear on Bench's Arms

If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I matched the paint for the bench makeover to cushions that are on our other screened porch chairs.  (If you don’t follow me on Instagram, I’d love for you to do so!  I’m sppaula there.)

After sanding the bench to smooth down the arms and to take off some of the smoothness of the stain, I painted the bench Valspar Tidal Teal in gloss purchased from Lowe’s.  Using my HomeRight paint sprayer made painting this bench a breeze!  After three coats of paint completed over two days, my bench looked like new! Bench Makeover

My yard is so lush and pretty right now that I couldn’t resist taking a few pictures of my bench outside before I moved it to its home on the porch.  Two envelope pillows made with fabric leftover from my guest bath curtains jazz up the bench and offer comfort when relaxing on it.   Garden Bench Makeover by virginiasweetpea.com

The bright color of the bench makes me smile every time I walk out onto our porch.  I’m hoping that the next update to our porch will be new carpet.   Bench Makeover

I’m looking forward to spending spring and summer evenings relaxing on our porch!   Garden Bench Makeover by virginiasweetpea.com

Don’t miss my friends’ brightly painted furniture makeovers!  Click on the pictures below to visit each project.

Sharing With:
Serenity Now, Imparting Grace, Love of Family and Home, Design, Diapers+Dining, Tatertots and Jello, Creative Country Mom’s Garden, Little Miss Celebration, Pink When, Between Naps on the Porch, Sand and Sisal, Stone Gable,  A Stroll Thru Life, Just a Girl and Her Blog, Denise Designed, Setting for Four, The Girl Creative, Thrifty Decor Chick

Comments

1. Beautiful, Paula! I love that color too. The green lush grass really makes it pop! :)

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Christy! My grass is going to be really lush after all of the rain we’ve had this week!

2. Paula you did a fantastic job! The color is right on, I would have picked it too. I love the way the pillows look on it especially on your beautiful lawn! -Bev

3. Terrific teal Paula! I love your bench redo! Hey, you mentioned new carpet…why not paint it instead? Whatcha think?

• Sweet Pea says:

We could paint but I’d have to add something to it to make sure the surface wouldn’t be slick. We use our porch as a main entrance, so we are on it a lot with wet shoes (and a wet dog) and I wouldn’t want to fall. If we choose carpet, I’m going to get something that will hide the dirt!

4. This looks beautiful Paula! I LURVE the color you picked!!!

5. Paula, Love the color you selected for the bench and the pillows are just perfect! I haven’t used my sprayer in a while but I’m sure I will now that the weather is getting nicer.

• Sweet Pea says:

I probably couldn’t have finished this project in time without using the sprayer! It’s fun to use it to paint something so quickly!

6. That color is GORGEOUS Paula!!! I love it…it’s just perfect!

Nancy

• Sweet Pea says:

Thank you! It’s the first brightly colored item that I’ve painted for my home and I love it. I have paint left, so something else is going to get a shot of turquoise!

7. Paula I love the color you chose- that blue is fabulous! What a bright and beautiful update for your porch!

8. love the color! so fresh and fun on the bench! :)

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Cassie! I like that color, too, and since I have some left, I can use it for another project.

9. I love this makeover! The color is so fresh and bright! It brings a lot to your porch. The pillows that you matched with them are beautiful as well.

• Sweet Pea says:

Thank you! I love the pillows, too, and they were quick and easy to make since I had the supplies on-hand. The carpet on the porch is what I want to tackle next!

10. Love the color, so bright and cheerful! Great job Paula!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

11. Paula, this is simply beautiful! I so love the color and the pillows – you did a fantastic job! Pinning! Happy May Day!

12. I love your “new” bench! I love the color and the pillows. Also, I can’t believe I wasn’t following you on Instagram. I am now.

13. Paula, your bench looks great! I love that you painted it a bold color. And it’s perfect with the new pillows. I knew I recognized that fabric! :)

Hope you have a wonderful week! Can’t believe it’s already May!!

14. So pretty! I am somewhat new to furniture makeovers. What did you use to sand your bench? Your bench looks fantastic!

• Sweet Pea says:

Lauren – I used a palm sander to sand the bench. The arms needed a heavy sanding but the rest of the bench only needed a light sanding to help the paint stick.

15. Paula, I always enjoy seeing your before and after projects and you always do such a great job! I love the color of your bench! I saw one almost just like yours in a high end magazine yesterday and I was thinking that yours was prettier! I’m so glad you shared it at our Pretty Pintastic Party! Thanks!!

16. What a sweet color and gorgeous place to sit and enjoy the outdoors….like it!

17. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Love the color you chose and how you dressed it up. So perfect for spring and summer.

Jeanine

18. I love this bench!! Blue is my favorite color, so good color choice;) I am pinning this, thank you.
    Kathi

19. We just DIYed a garden bench for a friend, but if we build another I am definitely painting it a fun color like you did, LOVE this! Pinned :)

• Sweet Pea says:

You are a nice friend, Katie! I’ll bet that your friend loved the bench that you made for her. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

20. This is so pretty! I’m in love with teal – so you had me at that! The pillows are too fun also! I’d love to see you link this up at Skip The Housework party! http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/skip-housework-saturday-11/

21. LOVE your bench makeover.

22. Cute, cute and I LOVE the color and the monogrammed pillow. Great paint project
    Visiting from the Home Sweet Garden party.

23. Love the turquoise, it looks fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

24. Hey girl–just popping back in to say I’m featuring you at Grace at Home this week! I just love your bench! :)

Have a great day!

25. How fun!! With the pillows it looks just stunning.

Would you like to link it up to this week’s Off the Hook link party? Hope to see you there :)

26. This turned out beautifully, Paula! Such a fun project. I love your choice of color!

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks so much, Kristi! I wasn’t sure about the green but after I finished, I loved the color.

Paula

27. Thanks girlfriend for linking up to Monday Funday! I’ve shared and featured your gorgeous bench in my latest post for Bright Settings here: http://www.brightsettings.com/BrightIdeas/10-summer-diy-decor-ideas/ xo Heather

Trackbacks

1. […] Garden Bench Makeover from Virginia Sweet Pea […]

2. […] from Sweet Pea shares a bright garden bench makeover.  She outlines step by step instructions on how to […]