Light Shrimp Newburg
We love just about any dish prepared with shrimp but many are high in fat and calories. Rachel Ray’s magazine recently featured a healthier version of Shrimp Newburg that looked too delicious not to try. This recipe is easy enough for a weeknight meal but tasty enough to serve for a dinner party.
The following is Rachel’s recipe with my changes. Enjoy Shrimp Newburg without the added calories or fat.
Light Shrimp Newburg
Enjoy Shrimp Newburg without the added calories or fat.
Healthier Shrimp Newburg
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp–cleaned and cut into thirds, shells reserved
- 2 cups 2 percent milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked rice
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 T butter over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells and cook, stirring, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the cornstarch, then whisk into the shrimp shells. Bring to a simmer, whisking, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Strain the mixture into a bowl, pressing the shrimp shells to get all the liquid; discard the shells. Wash and dry the saucepan.
4. In the saucepan, melt 2 teaspoons butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the shrimp and sherry and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is firm, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
I’ll definitely make this dish again! It tasted indulgent but really was quite healthy. This dish would also be tasty over pasta.
We try to eat well and I love it when an indulgent recipe can be made healthier and still taste great.
Wow…I had no idea where this was going when all you had cooking there was the shells, but what a fabulous way to use them. I think my son would love this recipes, he’s the big shrimp person in our family. Myself I like bacon wrapped shrimp and the little baby ones in salad and that’s about it. Will have to show him this and see what he thinks.
YUM!! T’s favorite thing is shrimp. He would love this one. 🙂
Love seafood newburg and I’m digging the idea of making a lighter version!
I served it over spaghetti squash and it was yum🤗
Thank you so much for this tip! I’ve got to try it over spaghetti squash!