This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
I love testing recipes and especially love it when I find a winner. This mac and cheese recipe is from the January 2011 issue of Southern Living. What makes it so great is it is a LIGHT recipe and it has a creamy, smoky taste that is so good. I’m sure to make this again and again.
Baked Smokin’ Macaroni and Cheese
- YIELD: Makes 8 servings
- 1 pound uncooked cellentani (corkscrew) pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded 1.5% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package chopped smoked ham
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cellentani pasta according to package directions. (I used regular macaroni.)
2. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in Gouda cheese, next 3 ingredients, and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in ham and pasta.
3. Pour pasta mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir together crushed cereal, 1 Tbsp. melted butter, and remaining 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper; sprinkle over pasta mixture. (I omitted the cornflake topping.)
Per serving (baked with topping): Calories 456; Fat 11.7g (Mine has fewer calories and fat because I did not add the cornflake topping. Note how large one serving is!)
Click here for a printable recipe.
This recipe was easy to make and is truly delicious. Do you think you’d like it?