I first made Chicken Corn Chowder in December of 2002 and have been making it regularly ever since.
We love soup any time of the year and it’s particularly nice on a cold and snowy evening.
It recently snowed in my area of Virginia and I made this soup for us to enjoy after a day of enjoying watching the snow fall and going for a delightful walk in the freshly fallen white stuff.
Snow gets tiresome if it comes too often but it’s nice to have some at least once a year.
Are you wondering how I know when I first made Chicken Corn Chowder?
When I clip a recipe from a magazine or print one, I date it after I’ve made it. Winners get added to recipe binders which act as my cookbooks when I plan meals.
Mushrooms, chicken, corn, and orzo make a delicious combination for this soup.
It is thickened after cooking with milk and flour. This recipe definitely gets a thumbs up at my house.
The beautiful soup bowl that I’m using to serve Chicken Corn Chowder is one from a set that my friend Beth at school gave me.
The pattern is Condoro by Noritake.
These beauties were headed to Goodwill but Beth asked me if I wanted them before taking them there.
This dish-a-holic said yes in a New York minute! Isn’t this a pretty pattern?
- 1 T butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen shoepeg white corn
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 (10 1/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary and/or thyme
- 1 T sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- Melt butter in a large Dutch over medium-high heat; add mushroom and onion and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken broth and next 9 ingredients; simmer 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Stir together milk and flour in a small bowl; gradually stir into chowder and simmer 5 minutes.
This recipe tastes better when served the next day. It can be thinned with milk when reheating.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
All-Clad 4506 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Stockpot with Lid / Cookware, 6-Quart, Silver
OXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil Set
Anchor Hocking Glass Mixing Bowls, Mixed, Set of 10
Prepworks by Progressive 10" Flat Whisk, Handheld Steel Wire Whisk Perfect for Whisking, Flat Roux Whisk, Gravy Stirring, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe
This is a recipe that I make time and again every fall and winter.
If you are looking for a recipe to add to your meal plan, I encourage you to give this one a try.