Last Sunday my former running BFF invited me over to his gigantic organic garden to pick tomatoes. The tomatoes in the plastic bags are from his garden; those in the basket are from my garden. This tomato haul yielded 20 quarts of canned tomatoes, a giant pot of pasta sauce, and a pan of stuffed tomatoes.
Scroll down for a printable recipe!
Delicious Stuffed Tomatoes
9 Roma Tomatoes
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
2 T chopped basil (or more)
2 T chopped parsley (or more)
- 9 Roma Tomatoes
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 T chopped basil (or more)
- 2 T chopped parsley (or more)
- Slice tomatoes in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp. Discard the core. Put the pulp into a mixing bowl.
- Place the tomatoes cut side down on a towel to drain.
- Mix breadcrumbs, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, basil, and parsley into the tomato pulp. Spoon into tomato shells.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a bit and enjoy.
These make a wonderful summer side dish. We like them so much that we’ve been known to have them as a main dish with veggie sides from the garden as a simple summer meal.
To quote Martha, “Summer tomatoes are a good thing.” Do you agree?