DIY Lounge Chair Cover
Pool and beach time are nearly here and that means hours of relaxation in a comfortable lounge chair.
Draping a towel over the chair is a common practice but isn’t it annoying when the wind blows the towel off?
Solve that problem by making a chair cover with a back pocket to hold the cover in place. An additional side pocket for sunscreen and a magazine or book is an added bonus.
If you can sew a straight line, this simple project is for you.
2 Bath Towels (30” x 54”)
1 Hand Towel (16” x 26”)
1. Place a bath towel on a work surface wrong side up. Fold down the top edge 16 1/2” and pin into place.
Sew the side edges. This forms the pocket that will go over the back of the lounge chair.
2. Match the ends of the two bath towels together overlapping the edges by 1/4”. Pin in place and sew.
3. Put the cover on the lounge chair and decide on the best location for the magazine pocket. This will vary according the lounge chair design. Mark the pocket location with a few pins.
4. Make the magazine pocket using the hand towel. Start by folding the top edge down 5”, pin, and sew.
5. Turn the hand towel over and pin 1 1/2” from the main towel edge. Stitch into place on the three sides that overlap.
6. Form the magazine pocket by folding the hand towel up so that the edges match on all sides. Pin into place and stitch the two sides. This forms a handy pocket for your sunscreen or book!
7. Put your new cover on your chair, relax, and enjoy!
This tutorial was originally written for Clutch Magazine and I’m delighted to also share it here on my blog.
I don’t sew but I had to come by and see what you came up with. I really need a few of these, we use my old quilts! Now, I’m a little confused. Were you published in Clutch Magazine? if so, a big congratulations!
Using old quilts is a great idea! My article was published in Clutch Magazine. I am thrilled to write for them!
That is an awesome idea! It solves so many pool/chair issues….I can’t wait to try it out.
Love this! Thanks for sharing!
That’s a great idea! I do dislike having to tug and re-situate the towel all the time!
Wow – congratulations being published in Clutch! I can see why: this is fabulous idea! 🙂 Pinning!
Great idea! Another one placed under the “Why didn’t I think of that?” category!!
Really cute Paula. I think everyone needs a good lounge chair and one of your cute covers!
Such a genius idea! Looks so cozy after a swim!
What a fantastic idea!!!…I definitely need to make one of those!!…
Love it, what a great idea and we all need a super place to lounge and relax. Very creative. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/05/165th-inspire-me-tuesday.html
Great idea! I need one!
I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday’s at midnight.
Have a wonderful week!