Tips for Beating the Freshman 15 (or Blogger 15)
Did you gain the dreaded Freshman 15 when you were in college? Or have you gained the “Blogger 15” from spending so much time at your computer? I’ve found some tips from TheBestColleges that I think are quite helpful for avoiding weight gain for anyone.
- Get 30-60 minutes of cardio 3-6 times per week.
- Strength train twice a week.
- Stretch after each workout.
- Make a goal.
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat breakfast.
How do your fair on this check list? I fail miserably at stretching and eating breakfast. Both are an easy fix!
What would I add to the list?
- Sign up to take a fitness class or find a class at your gym that you enjoy. You’ll make friends and they’ll ask where you were if you don’t show up.
- Find a workout buddy. Your buddy will make you accountable and offer motivation. Plus, it’s more fun to exercise with a friend.
- Drink plenty of water. Water fills you up and can stop hunger pains that sometimes are actually the body signaling that it needs fluid.
- Get a dog. The dog will need to be walked and you’ll enjoy the time your spend outdoors with it.
The Freshman 15 is avoidable and I hope a few young people might be helped by this post.
How was your fitness week? I’ve been doing my best to fit in exercise while balancing working full-time and maintaining my home. Fitness is social time for me, making it much easier to be motivated to workout.
Love this info! I am well beyond my college years but still need to be reminded how easy it is to get behind and start gaining weight if we are deliberate about being active and eating healthy.
Hi Paula~I’m so happy to be introduced to your blog! We seem so similar in our interests. I’m excited to be on the Throwback Linky Party with you. ~Kim
I need to exercise more regularly, but I truly hate it. There are so many other things I like to do. I also think that when kids move from their parent’s house, where they usually eat a balanced diet, to school, they eat way more junk food and that contributes to weight gain.
I fail in the stretching and the drinking water. I am setting those goals for myself.
I take my bottle with me everywhere and still don’t drink enough. I need to work on this, too!
Sigh – need to lose the dreaded blogger’s butt! Thanks for the motivation!
I never gained the Freshman 15 in college, in fact I lost weight. My campus was large and we walked everywhere. Great way to keep off the pounds. I did start to gain weight when I started working a desk job out of college. Great tips & love the added graphic! It seems young folks hear more about easy ways to stay fit now. I remember thinking I had to do organized sports for exercise. Was happy when I found aerobucs & yoga!