This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
I recently acquired a music cabinet that once belonged to my great-great aunt. I would guess that this cabinet is about 100 years old. My grandmother had it in her basement for years, intending to fix it up to use, but never did. When granny moved to a retirement home, my aunt took it, thinking that she, too, would give it a new life. My aunt realized that she would never tackle the project, so the cabinet became mine.
If you don’t know anything about a music cabinet, people kept one near their piano to store sheet music. I even have some of Great-Great Aunt Bessie’s music.
Take a look at the before pictures. The cabinet was very dirty, scuffed and scraped, and in some serious need of some TLC.
I cleaned the piece thoroughly with orange oil cleaner and then rubbed it down with a very fine steel wool. I then went over it with some walnut stain that Mr. SP had from another project.
This is the walnut stain product that I used:
An area above one of the legs had a sheet of veneer that had come loose. We put some wood glue under the loose part and taped it overnight with masking tape. It worked like a charm.
I glued some felt pads to the feet for ease of movement. I get really mad when I accidentally scratch my floors and have found using these to save a lot of tears.
Now for the after! For right now, I placed the music cabinet beside our fireplace in the living room. Isn’t the wood a beautiful color?
You can see that one of the shelves has a small piece missing, but it is still serviceable. My mom has a similar cabinet that has most of its shelves that she uses for a wine cabinet. I am thinking about using this for place mats but knowing me, it will remain empty for a while.
Look at the bottom left leg. The exposed wood where the veneer is missing is hardly noticeable.
I am very pleased with this project. The best thing about it was that it didn’t cost a dime, just a little elbow grease. My aunt is going to be sad that she gave this piece away when she sees how it looks now! It makes me feel good to “save” an old family piece and put it back into use.
I put the sheet music belonging to Aunt Bessie back in the cabinet.