A garbanzo bean recipe recently caught my eye. One of my favorite bloggers, Tanya of Frou Frou Britches, posted a recipe for a healthy Deep Dish Cookie Pie that she made using a recipe created by Chocolate-Covered Katie. Tanya and her family liked this recipe and I had to try it for myself because garbanzo beans and cookies don’t seem to go together to me.
Did we like this healthier version of Deep Dish Cookie Pie? Oh yes! I honestly couldn’t stay out of it. Mr. SP has already told me that he’d like for me to make this again very soon.
I have one confession to make. The recipe calls for one cup of chocolate chips and I doubled that by using the entire bag. What can I say? I like chocolate.
Want to make this for yourself? I thought I might tempt you!
Deep-Dish Cookie Pie
(High in fiber… and gluten-free!)
- 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 T canola oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
So easy to make!
Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a food processor. Mix in chips, and pour into an oiled pan (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for around 35 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Definitely use a heavy duty food processor and make sure that the garbanzo beans are ground into a smooth paste.
- This recipe is so easy because you dump your ingredients into the food processor, turn it on, and it does all of the work.
- I used butter flavored cooking spray to oil the pan.
- 35 min. at 350F worked well in my oven and it is a a high powered one. Usually I have to bake things for 5 min. less than what a recipe directs.
This cookie pie stays very moist. I stored it in a plastic container and thought that the cut edges would dry out but they didn’t.
Many thanks to Tanya for posting this recipe so that I could discover it for myself and to Katie for creating it.
Are you now tempted to try this??