Table Makeover with Typography (Themed Furniture Makeover Day)

table-makeover-with-french-typography-from-graphic-graphics-fairy

It’s time for another Themed Furniture Makeover Day! Each month is assigned a theme and the participants makeover a piece of furniture to fit the theme.  This month’s theme is distressed.

You may remember earlier this year that my friend and teacher assistant kindly let me have some family treasures that belonged to her aunt.  (If you missed out on the vintage goodies shared with me, you can check them out here.)  Three tables were among my vintage haul and I couldn’t wait to give this one a makeover.

Table Makeover -Before

After cleaning the table and lightly sanding it, I gave it several coats of American Decor Chalky Finish paint in Everlasting.

I then selected a French herbal shop transfer from The Graphics Fairy and enlarged it to the size I needed using Block Poster.

I used carbon paper to trace the image onto the table and then used an extra fine point and fine point Sharpie over the traced image.

Table Makeover with French Typography from The Graphics Fairy

After the Sharpie work was complete, I sanded over the image to give it a distressed look.

Table Makeover with French Typography from The Graphics Fairy

The edges of the table and table legs were also lightly distressed.

Table Makeover with French Typography from The Graphics Fairy

I waxed the table with American Decor cream wax followed by buffing.

Table Makeover with French Typography from The Graphics Fairy
I could not be more please with the end result of this table makeover.  This pretty table now has a home in my living room and I can’t wait until my Lavender starts blooming to add a vase to it to go along with the typography.
Table Makeover with French Typography from The Graphics Fairy
Other Themed Furniture Makeover Day projects that you may enjoy:
Rocking Chair Makeover
Table Makeover with Red
Monogrammed Table Makeover
Two Tone Lane Cedar Chest
Decoupaged Media Cabinet
Pi Themed Chair Makeover
Nautical Themed Coffee Table
Floral Bar Stool
Garden Bench Makeover

Not part of Themed Furniture Makeover Day but one of my favorites:  Goodwill Table Makeover

GoodwillTableMakeoverbyvirginiasweetpea_thumb.jpg

Now for the fun part!  Visit the links below to see what project my blogging friends completed for this month’s distressed theme.

Sharing With:  H2O Bungalow, Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home, Between Naps on the PorchStone Gable, Sand and Sisal, Yesterday on Tuesday, A Stroll Thru Life, Concord Cottage, Serenity Now, Savvy Southern Style, Imparting Grace,  Shabby Art Boutique, The Bold Abode, Confessions of a Serial Do-It-Yourselfer

Comments

1. I had that same table, Paula! I also did an transfer with French twist. Great makeover…great minds… ;o)
    Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces recently posted…Antique Stereo Turned Sewing Cabinet {Themed Makeover}My Profile

• Sweet Pea says:

That’s funny, Larissa! This was my first time using a french graphic and I think I’m now hooked.

Paula

2. Awesome table!! Great detail on the graphic. Was it hard to do? I haven’t tried using a sharpie yet. My tracing isn’t that good. Pinning! Jeanette
    Jeanette recently posted…Distressed Metal Folding TableMy Profile

• Sweet Pea says:

This was not hard at all. It does require time and a steady hand so I had to make sure that I did it in the afternoon after my morning coffee had worn off.

Paula

3. Gorgeous, Paula!! The graphics make this piece! I bet your friend would want this back if she saw it now, better not let her see it. 🙂
    Christy@Confessions of a Serial Do-it-Yourselfer recently posted…Mason Jar Blue Headboard BenchMy Profile

• Sweet Pea says:

I forgot to tell her at school on Friday to look at the blog to see what I did with the table. I think she’ll be happy and I’ll bet that her aunt would be happy knowing that someone is now using her table again.

Paula

4. Wow! I can’t believe you did that with Sharpie! And I love that you sanded over it lightly. What a beautiful makeover!
    Megan recently posted…My March Stitch Fix ReviewMy Profile

5. Your table came out beautiful! Love the graphic you choose, it was the perfect choice for this project. Also loving that you used a sharpie for the graphic – how smart!
    Wendi @ H2OBungalow recently posted…White and Gold Distressed Damask DresserMy Profile

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Wendi! I got the Sharpie idea from Jen from Girl in the Garage. It worked perfectly and was easy to do.

Paula

6. Holy smokes I can’t believe you did that with a sharpie, so impressed! it’s so amazing!
    Breanna recently posted…Friday’s Fab Freebie :: Week 44My Profile

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Breanna! It took a while but I enjoyed the process because I watched tv while I did it. I had to do it in the afternoon after my morning coffee had worn off to avoid the caffeine induced shaky hands. Have a wonderful weekend!

Paula

7. That is so very pretty Paula!! The graphics are the perfect touch for it too! 🙂

Nancy
    Nancy @ Artsy Chicks Rule recently posted…French “Paris” Box Makeover with Chalk Paint (Best of DIY)My Profile

8. I. LUV. IT……you really did a great job on this sweet thing.

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, BJ! This piece looks great in my living room and I’m glad that I could give it a new look.

Paula

9. Love your French table! Thanks for sharing your Sharpie pens technique–I can’t wait to try it!

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Ruth Anne! I was really pleased with the Sharpies. They were much easier to use over trying to hand paint all of that detail.

Paula

10. What an incredible transformation. I love the graphic that you used.
    Nikki Frank-Hamilton recently posted…Silent Sunday Photo 3/22/15My Profile

11. Beautiful table!! Have you ever had a problem with black smudging onto the white after you’ve sanded?

12. I was shocked to see your table because I have the very same table beside the chair I’m sitting in right now! I bought it at an antique store several years ago when my son’s room needed a bed-side table. After re-arranging furniture last week, I moved the table downstairs to the family room. I’m planning to paint it, and what a nice surprise it is to see yours all dolled up! Now I don’t have to guess what my table will look like. Thank you! 🙂
    Kim recently posted…Springy Strawberry SaladMy Profile

13. Don’t see how you do it all! This table is just perfect! 🙂
    Christy @ Our Southern Home recently posted…Decorating Challenge {Month 3}My Profile

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Christy! Have bunches of snow days at the end of February gave me time to get a lot of projects completed.

Paula

14. Wow! That is truly stunning! I’ve never seen anyone do that. The wording looks so professional!
    Pinning!
    Christine recently posted…10+ Non-Traditional Easter Basket IdeasMy Profile

15. Love it Paula, love the typography…nice touch!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy
    Cindy recently posted…Captivated by SpringMy Profile

16. Paula your table is so adorable and love the typography on the top. beautiful!! thank you so much for linking up to the Something to Talk About Link Party and I hope you can join us again tomorrow morning. hugs, Lisa
    Lisa recently posted…Painted SPRING VasesMy Profile