This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
I’m joining my Power Tool Challenge Team gals for another fun challenge. This month our theme is modify and I turned a cold war era ammunition crate into a side table.
Why did I choose this project? Well, there happened to be a stack of these ammunition crates in our basement and I thought it would be fun to come up with a creative use for one of them.
This crate was used to ship ammunition for a collectible WWII gun, a Mauser 98K.
I’m still trying to think of a use for the “sardine can” because it’s too cool to get rid of.
We love history and I think that this table will be a real conversation starter when guests see it.
I love the army green color and the cool Yugoslavian writing on the sides. The latch is also interesting.
This crate is very sturdy and will be great for extra storage.
I really like how the look of the hairpin legs.
I’m not sure where we’ll use this table. For now it is in our family room beside Mr. SP’s chair. He encouraged me to fill it with snacks for football game watching.
Now let me explain how I made my ammunition crate table.
The hairpin legs were ordered from Rockler and were the most expensive part of this project. With shipping, they cost $47.98.
The ammunition crates were purchased here but are currently out of stock. The price for just a crate is around $20.
The first step in making the ammunition table was to use a crow bar to remove the wood pieces that supported the “sardine can”.
My hope was that I could screw the hairpin legs to the bottom of the crate and be finished but two pieces of wood on the bottom of the crate were in the way.
They were removed but the metal strap was still in the way. Time for Plan B!
Plan B was to add a new bottom to the crate. The oak ply board that I had in the shop wasn’t big enough, so I cut two pieces to fit the bottom of the box and glued them together. Pipe clamps kept the pieces flat and square until the glue dried.
I used Deco Art Chalky Finish Paint in Enchanting on the new bottom piece after the glue dried and I’d sanded the piece thoroughly.
The paint didn’t match the crate perfectly but after I gave it a coat of Voodoo Gel Stain in Tobacco Road by Dixie Belle Paint, it was a close match.
The new bottom and legs were then attached to the bottom of the crate.
I used an 1 1/2” wood screw in each corner to make sure that the new base was attached to the crate and the screws that came with the hairpin legs in the other holes.
Clamps were essential to make sure that the new base stayed in place as the screws were added.
This project isn’t for just anyone but I’ll bet if you show it to the men in your life that they’ll think that it’s pretty awesome.
This isn’t my first miliary crate project. A Russian Rifle Crate was repurposed into a workbench that we now use at the lake. This workbench is so handy and it’s always a conversation piece when our guests see it.
Now it’s time to visit the other projects shared for this month’s Power Tool Team Challenge. Click on the links below to visit each project.
Modified Leaning Ladder Storage By Designed Decor
How To Resize A Wood Picture Frame By Her Tool Belt
Ikea Moppe Hack Apothecary Cabinet by Interior Frugalista
Portable Craft Table By Create and Babble
Grown Up Jewelry Box By Kim Six
Modified Dresser By My Repurposed Life
Bed Spindle Candle Holders By H2OBungalow
Ammunition Crate Table by Virginia Sweet Pea
Ikea Wardrobe Update By Domestically Speaking
How to Piece Scraps to Make a Sign by My Love to Create