Bathroom Renovation Update :: How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

At the end of July I gave an update on our main bath renovation that included gray paint, a new shower curtain, and a Grout Refresh – Straw – 8oz. Bottle’>grout refresh.  Next on our renovation list was replacing the pedestal sink with a vanity that would give us much needed storage.  We found a vanity locally that we loved but it was above our budget.  Luckily, on the way home from Haven, we stopped at IKEA to simply look around.  However, we soon realized that they had a bathroom vanity that we considered perfect for our remodel project.  We purchased a Hemnes sink cabinet with two drawers, a Rattviken sink, and a Apelskar faucet all from the IKEA store in Charlotte, NC.  We both were thrilled to get exactly what we needed at a reasonable price.

Shopping at Ikea

The past two weeks have been crazy busy for me with going back to school and unexpected weekend travel.  I intended to help Mr. SP install the sink cabinet, sink, and faucet but haven’t been home enough in the past two weeks to lend a helping hand.  So, Mr. SP did all of the work and he will share his thoughts on his first IKEA product installation experience.  (Am I lucky or what?  I have a husband who not only did the work, but also wrote the text for my post.)

Take it away, Mr. SP!

The bathroom vanity/sink/faucet combination is essentially cafeteria style – you can choose each of the three components individually.  The vanity comes in various styles, colors and sizes.  Similarly, you can chose the sink in various styles and sizes.  Finally, there were numerous choices of bathroom faucets from which to chose that are appropriate for the sink choices.

Installing an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

The cabinet was in a single, well packed box.  I quickly inventoried all the pieces and found that it was all there.  The hardware and some unique tools were also included in the hardware kit.  The instructions had essentially no text, but only cartoons.  That proved sufficient as the instructions were well done and the kit was easily constructed.

Below are photos of the various, simple steps in the construction of the cabinet.  It went together very easily and was of very good construction.  I thought that I would have to glue some pieces together, but everything fit so well and tight, that I found that unnecessary.

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink CabinetHow to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink CabinetHow to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

Once together, the cabinet was brought into the bathroom and positioned in place.  The cabinet was leveled using screw feet on the bottom of the front legs (no rear legs on this cabinet, making it necessary to mount to the wall).

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

Marks were drawn on the walls where anchors would be placed to hold the cabinet in place.  I scored the tile, then used a masonry bit to drill 5/8” holes in the wall to mount the anchors.  I was fortunate enough to hit wood behind the wall, so lag screws were used to screw the cabinet to the wall.

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

Once mounted to the wall, the sink was fastened to the wall and cabinet using silicon adhesive.  I let this dry overnight.  I was willing to quit at this time anyway because plumbing came next, and I was more than willing to procrastinate.

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

All the plumbing came with the sink.  This is important because special plumbing is necessary to make the necessary space for the cabinet drawers (more on this later).  The plumbing all went together easily – until I had to connect the 1-1/4” drain pipe to the wall 1-1/2” wall pipe.  All that was needed was a conversion kit (about $1.50), but the big box hardware stores did not have it.  It was both laughable and frustrating to listen to the employees in those big box stores guessing and debating as to what I needed.  I went to the small, local True-Value store in desperation, and they had exactly what I needed.  I now know to go there first.  Going to the locally owned store should have been my first choice anyway.  I have always been pleased with my transactions there.  Once I had this part, the plumbing was completed quickly and easily.  I was as efficient as I could have been with plumbing to maximize the space (again, more on this later – suspenseful, right?).

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

I unpacked the funky new faucet that we had chosen, and put that in quickly.  It also came with all the necessary parts, and a unique tool to help installation.  Again, I am impressed with the user friendliness of the IKEA products.  Once connected to the water source, the faucet was tested, and the entire system check for leaks.  There were none.

Ikea Sink Faucet

Finally, it was time place the drawers on the drawer slides provided in the kit.  They are really well designed, and beefy.  The drawers fit into them well, and locked into place.  The bottom drawer closed easily, and completely.  However, the top drawer closed to within 1/2” of complete.  The drawer back hit on the overflow drain pipe from the sink.  This is somewhat distressing, as I was as efficient with the plumbing as I believe I could have been.

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

A possible solution to the problem was cutting a notch, and shortening the top drawer slightly where it interferes with the drain. Instead, I moved one side of the drawer back in a few inches to accommodate the plumbing.  Once completed, the drawers fit well within the cabinet.

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink

Overall, we are very pleased with the end result, and impressed with the overall layout and simplicity of the kit.  The only two detriments that I can note are, 1)  the necessary purchase of the pipe conversion (this is minor), and 2) the interference of the drawer with the drain pipe – this is unfortunate as IKEA could have made the top drawer 1” shorter and removed such tight tolerances in the plumbing layout.

Again, it is worth noting that we are completely pleased with the end product and feel that the value, style are superb.

How to Install an Ikea Hemnes Sink Cabinet

Thanks to my handy husband for installing our new vanity.  I have not lived in a home with drawers in the bathroom since I was a teenager.  I am so excited to take advantage of our new storage space.

What’s next for this space?  We have a large mirror on order and art is needed to brighten the wall space.

Sharing With:
Grace at Home at Imparting Grace, Weekend Bloggy Reading Party at Serenity Now, Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings The Heart of the Home, Home{Work} Wednesday at The Everyday Home, Project Inspired at Cupcakes and Crinoline, Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Comments

1. Wow Paula, it looks GREAT! Mr. SP sure is handy, and good at writing “how to’s”…could blogging be in his future? I still haven’t been to IKEA…gotta go!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

2. I am impressed by your skills! Great job.

3. I really like that vanity. I also really love it when my hubby just takes over a project and gets it done. So nice!

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Kathleen. I wanted to work on this along with him so that I can learn how to do it myself but it certainly goes faster when he does it alone!

4. Looks wonderful. Hugs, Marty

5. I LOVE THIS! It looks fabulous, and I doesn’t look too intimidating. Thanks for sharing.

6. Love that sink, it looks fabulous!!

7. My girlfriend and I ran into the same issue withthe drain. Instead of cutting the drawer I used a heat gun to melt the so called flex pipe. If you use this method be careful cause you can melt a hole through the pipe. If you don’t have a heat gun a hair dryer on high heat with a low blower will work.

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks for the tip, Jonathan. Hopefully you will save someone else the hassle of having to alter the drawer.

8. Wow, I’m impressed! Seriously, you did a great job. Love it. Thank you for joining us on Let’s Get Social Sunday. New follower.
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

9. I really love how this turned out! We have a couple of things from the Hemnes line and I love them. I also love the faucet you selected! Great job!

10. perfect, looks like it was made just for that space!

11. So pretty! I have to admit…I would have been freaked out by taking on this project, but looks like you handled it like a pro.

12. So cool! It looks easy enough to do. Pinned!

• Sweet Pea says:

Thanks, Tonia. It really wasn’t difficult if you have basic woodworking skills. My husband was there helping me along!

13. Never in a million years could we have done that!

14. This looks great! Thanks so much for all the details. You are too awesome! Enjoy your new found drawer space!

15. Props to Mr. SP for a job well done and a post well written! You’ve just made a lot of bloggy wives very jealous! ;)
    I love your shower curtain, by the way!

16. Hi Paola. All looks great. I have a question. Are you satisfied with the sink since it’s too shallow? Do you think you will have a problem with water coming out of sink and damage the cabinet?

17. I just bought this same vanity and sink. Do you know what toilets will match this Ikea product? Have written to Ikea and Koehler but no answer yet. You know how whites can be so different.

18. Quick question. My husband and I just bought the same sink and drawers and can’t find the new plastic drain it was supposed to come with (the new plumbing stuff you have in one of your pics. The white tube that connects to the water source). Do you remember which box it came in, drawers or sink top? Did it have its own box?

19. Great job! We are considering this vanity/sink and are wondering if you were able to secure all four of the anchors into studs.

20. Also LOVE your shower curtain, any chance you will spill the beans on where to find it?

21. Thank you so much for this how to! We purchased this sink and base but were concerned with the plumbing. Your how to was very helpful. :-)

22. Hey,
    We are about to redo our bath, and I am seriously considering the Hemnes cabinets. I did not see the white ones displayed last time we were in the store, and am wondering about the finish. Is it mat or is it the glossy variety they used to have on the white bedroom series?

Also, which parts are made of particleboard – the side panels and drawer bottoms only, or is there something else that’s not just wood? The website description is not clear on that. We had problems with mold in the bathroom, and not sure if the vent we need to install will solve all the problems with condensation… Are you happy with how the cabinet performs with moisture?

The cabinet looks great in your space! I like how easy you made the modifications look. :)

Marty

• Martyna – The finish on the cabinet is glossy. I’m not sure which parts are particle board. I will say that my husband is very picky about quality and he was pleased with the cabinet. Our cabinet has performed fine with moisure from showers but we do have a good vent. I’m happy our post was of help to you!

• Thank you for replying so fast. Glossy sounds good!

We don’t have a fan in out bathroom! Amazing… There is a window, which I think according to the code is enough ventilation to skip the fan, but the window had to be painted shut years ago. I do not think we’ll have to much moisture problems after we get the extra ventilation (and I plan on the fattest vent I can find and afford), but I just don’t like the idea of MDF anywhere close to water. Looking at your pictures, tho, it seems like most of the vanity is pine, and what is not, I can either prime and paint (drawer bottom), or is already painted (the side panels’ inserts).

Thanks again! :)

23. Love your choices! I think of all the pictures I’ve seen of bathrooms with the Hemnes vanity, your decorating scheme is the best. I love how the touches of dark in the floor and the shower curtain bring out the knobs on the vanity. Most people seem to forget that the Hemnes knobs need to be echoed somewhere in the space as they are such a high contrast…one of the features that I think makes the vanity so charming. After seeing your bathroom I will definitely incorporate touches of dark in the decor when I use my Hemnes in our remodel. Beautiful!

24. grumpys133py says:

Thanks

25. grumpys133py says:

Needed info on connecting the drain

26. I was thinking about using this as a nightstand on each side of the bed. The dimensions would work a lot better than any of the normal Hemnes bedroom line dressers. I of course would need to add a top to make it functional. Are both drawers full depth?

27. Hi Paula, I am just about to install this vanity in our rental unit, and they layout of our bathroom looks identical to yours! I do have a question that someone asked earlier but it doesn’t look like there was ever an answer! Are you happy with the depth of the sink bowl? It is half the depth of a standard sink bowl and I am concerned that water will splash out of the bowl and all over the cabinet, etc. I do see that this particular sink has a backsplash so that probably helps. but, i was thinking of buying the style without the backsplash. Have you experienced any issues with the water flow into this sink? And how has this vanity and sink held out for you over the last year? Thanks!

• Sweet Pea says:

Kim – I am very happy with this sink, even a year later. It’s held up extremely well and the depth of the bowl has been fine. I have not noticed water splashing out of the bowl at any point in its use. I do like the back splash on the model we bought because if we didn’t have it, water that did get in this area could run behind the vanity unless it was caulked to the wall. (Ours isn’t.)

Paula