Ten days of work was a great start to our lake house basement project. Today I’m sharing what was accomplished over the ten days. We have a long way to go until our basement will be usable, but the hardest parts of the project are nearly behind us.
Lake House Basement Project
If you missed our basement project plans, we are adding a family room, bathroom, linen closet, and extra room to our unfinished lake house basement.
Jeff, our good friend who is in the home renovation business, stayed with us for ten days to get this project started.
Supplies are Delivered
Before the project started, Jeff planned our basement and coordinated with Mr. SP on what supplies that he would need to buy ahead of time. Jeff arrived from South Carolina with electrical supplies and Mr. SP had an order from Home Depot delivered the morning that Jeff arrived.
This delivery included doors, drywall, metal and wood studs, insulation, 2×4’s, and pressure treated lumber for the walls that were to be in contact with the concrete floor. The delivery guys from Home Depot were top notch – helpful, friendly and efficient.
Once we had the supplies, we were ready to get to work.
Mark the Floor for Wall Studs
Framing the Room
Below I labeled what is in each location. Where you see the drywall is the family room. To the left of the bathroom/hall/closet will remain unfinished. We ran out of pressure treated lumber and later added a piece for the closet back wall. I indicated the missing piece of wood with the dotted line seen in the picture below.
We ran out of metal studs (from Home Depot) and the local Lowe’s (25 min. from out lake house) didn’t carry them, so rather than drive an hour each way to buy more metal studs from Home Depot, Mr. SP finished framing this section with 2×4’s.
We heard the ice cream boat music on more than one occasion and Sherman can’t get to the dock fast enough to greet the ice cream boat. It was hot while we worked and an ice cream break was refreshing.
Jeff added the connections for the new runs of ductwork that feed the basement spaces. Jeff connected the existing section of ductwork to the newly located section of ductwork with a 45 degree run of round rigid ductwork that runs over the new closet location.
I didn’t get a shot of the end result. My help with this part was wrapping the new section (not shown) with reflective metallic insulation.
Jeff’s lighting plan leaves us with a very well lit basement. After the lights were installed and the electric work done, we had the lights on in the basement when we heard the ice cream boat music. We all raced to the dock and when we looked back at the house, we could see just how well lit it is.
Sherman helped his daddy as he worked on the plumbing. Here Mr. SP is working on plumbing, petting Sherman, and on the phone helping to solve a problem at work. All the plumbing was easy as PEX was used throughout the house, and we used it for the new bathroom space too. PEX is really easy to use.
After all of this work was complete, we were ready for the Bedford County building inspector to visit so that we could move on to drywall. The building inspector gave us approval and then it was on to drywall.
Jeff and Mr. SP rented a lift to assist in drywalling the ceiling. We all agreed that the $29 rental fee was money well spent. My help wasn’t needed for drywalling the ceiling so I did yard work while the guys worked away.
The next day they moved on to the family room walls. By the time the family room was complete, sadly it was time for Jeff to go home. We so much enjoyed having our good friend with us for a week and my mom confided that she wanted to kidnap him to help her with some projects around her 1913 home. 🙂
Once the drywall was in, I could really envision how our new family room will look. The doorway to the left will lead to the unfinished part of the basement and the second doorway leads to the bathroom and closet.
After Jeff left, Mr. SP started on the drywall in the extra room. He completed one wall and got a start on another. Over the Labor Day weekend we’ll be hanging drywall and hoping to have it completed by Monday when it’s time to go back home.
The young man who did the tuck point work on our patio walls is going to tape, mud, and sand the drywall for us.
After the drywall is complete, we’ll move on to installing the flooring. If you want a sneak peek at what we chose, you can see it here.
Pin this project to remember for later. Pinning helps my work be discovered by others.