My first memory of Russian Tea was my grandmother bringing it to our house along with tin after tin of cookies when she came to visit at Christmas. Granny packaged her Russian Tea in a Sanka bottle and we enjoy an occasional cup the rest of the winter.
I always enjoy Russian Tea but I hate to drink my calories. I’d rather spend my calorie budget on food to eat! My dilemma was solved after concocting a Russian Tea recipe that is not only tasty but is also low calorie.
If you aren’t familiar with Russian Tea, it traditionally is a combination of instant tea, Tang, lemonade mix, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. My low calorie version uses unsweetened instant tea, Crystal Light lemonade and orange drink mixes, cinnamon, and cloves.
- 1 (3⅓ ounce) jar sugar-free instant iced tea (I used decaf)
- 4 packets Crystal Light orange drink mix (I used Walmart brand)
- 2 packets Crystal Light lemonade drink mix (I used Walmart brand)
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Package in individual jars for a gift or store in the instant tea jar if keeping for yourself.
- Mix to taste: I use a heaping sugar spoon and another half a sugar spoon for a large coffee mug.
I have been enjoying Russian Tea almost daily since before Thanksgiving. Being decaf makes it a warm beverage that I can enjoy in the evening without risking not being able to sleep.