This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Last weekend was another productive time working on our lake house basement project. Things are rolling along and we can almost see the finish in sight!
If you are new here, we are transforming our basement into a family room, bathroom, and bedroom. These posts chronicle the work that we’ve accomplished so far:
- Lake House Basement Project Plans
- Lake House Basement – Update One
- Lake House Basement – Update Two
- Lake House Basement – Update Three
- Lake House Basement – Update Four – Paint
- Lake House Basement – Update Five – Flooring
- Lake House Basement – Update Six
- Lake House Basement – Update Seven
- Lake House Basement – Update Eight
- Lake House Basement – Update Nine
- Lake House Basement – Update Ten – Installing a Newel Post
- Lake House Basement – Update Eleven – Installing a Banister
Let’s take a look at what we accomplished last weekend!
If you love DIY, home decor, crafts, and recipes, you’ll want to subscribe to Sweet Pea so that you never miss a post. It’s free and the best way to follow along with my blog. You’ll also get access to my members-only free printable library.
Staining the Doors
My main project for the weekend was staining the three wood doors. I set up a work station on the patio and worked on one door at a time.
For the stain, I used Zar Wood Stain in Charcoal. I chose this stain for the color and because it is a gel formula and it does not run.
I brushed the stain on with a foam brush and then wiped off the excess with an old t-shirt.
Over the weekend I was able to get both sides of the doors stained. I went back to the lake on Tuesday and applied the first coat of top coat. I’m using General Finishes High Performance Water Based in Satin.
Each side of the door is to get three coats of top coat and the dry time is 12-18 hours between coats, so this process will take me a while.
On Tuesday I also painted the three windows that are framed.
Staining the Newel Post
The newel post and banister were stained the same color as the doors.
Installing a Banister
Mr. SP’s main task for the weekend was installing a banister on the steps. He started the process by using a 2×4 to make sure that he had his measurements correct before cutting the oak banister.
We cut the banister template post angle at approximately 40 degrees to mate with the newel post. We also cut 2 temporary balusters at the correct height to help with the placement and marking of the template. Once we had the template in place on the newel post, we were able to scribe the angle of the ceiling onto the other end of the template, and onto the ceiling. We then dry fit the template in the correct position of the banister.
After we were happy with the angles and position of the template, we moved on to working with the banister by the same process.
Before it was installed, I stained the banister.
Here we show the final dry fit of the banister in place before bolting it into place.
Once the banister was cut to the correct length with the proper angles, we countersunk and drilled holes in each end for the bolt that will attach the banister in place. The banister was then bolted to the ceiling joist on the top end, and into the oak newel post on the bottom. We will cut two discs out of scrap oak to cover the bolts.
Windows Framed and Trimmed
After the banister was installed, Mr. SP framed the remaining unframed window in the family room and he then moved into the bedroom.
He was oh-so-close to finishing but ran out of wood for this window.
He added trim to the family room windows until he ran out.
I delivered two contractors packs of trim to the lake on Tuesday, so he’s all set to finish that project this coming weekend.
My Redneck Engineering
One spot in the hallway had a huge gap between the baseboard and wall. We tried caulking it, but the caulk just fell into the hole.
I did a bit of redneck engineering and stuffed the open area with strips of cotton from a cotton ball.
My redneck engineering worked and I was able to caulk over the cotton. I’m a messy caulker and have some paint touch-up to do in this area.
In the bathroom, Mr. SP installed a LED light specifically for showers and he finished installing the fan. He also installed the toilet seat.
This bathroom is getting close to being finished!
Sherman’s Weekend at the Lake
Sherman helped when Mr. SP did a bit of electrical work.
He also enjoyed a bit of dock relaxation.
Morning and night he is always by his daddy’s side.
We took Sherman hiking at Smith Mountain Lake State Park both Saturday and Sunday.
Here he is on Turtle Island, one of our favorite places in the park.
To get onto Turtle Island, you cross the bridge seen in the picture below. If I was an artist, I would paint Turtle Island.
On Sunday we walked again at the park. Sherman’s mom and dad enjoy the hikes as much as Sherman does.
This weekend our main project is to install balisters on the stairs. Once that is complete, Mr. SP will finish framing the bedroom window and add trim to the windows that currently have none.
We also hope to finish the plumbing work for the bathtub and shower and get the shower curtain, towel rods, and toilet paper holder installed.
I would love for you to pin this post for others to discover on Pinterest.